Above the Barre was formed in Alexandria, Virginia in 2015 under the direction of Adrienne Taylor. Our dedicated staff and instructors work hard to provide a quality dance education for all ages.
It is our goal that students enjoy dance while learning proper technique and developing poise, confidence, coordination and rhythm. Our success is best measured in smiles.
It is our mission at Above the Barre to provide a well-rounded curriculum in a pleasant and encouraging environment, regardless of whether you dance for exercise, simply for the love of dance, or for those dancing at the professional level.
Thank you for your interest in our program. We look forward to teaching your children and welcoming them to our dance family.
Policies and Procedures
Payment and Enrollment Policy
1. School Registration: A $25 Registration Fee per student/$35 Registration Fee per family, per year must accompany all enrollments. The registration fee is applied to school liability costs.
2. Recital Fees: All students must pay a $25 Recital fee in the spring. This fee is applied to hall rental fees and production costs. The fee includes one complimentary ticket. Nutcracker Fees are charged and collected through Alexandria Community Nutcracker.
3. Costume Fees: Parents are responsible for costume costs for the Spring recital. Costume fees will be determined by class and will range from $25-$65. Nutcracker fees are charged and collected through Alexandria Community Nutcracker.
4. Late Fees: A $25 late fee is applied to all late tuitions due. Read the payment schedule carefully. Yearly plan payment is due prior to the first class of the year. For those on semester pay, the due date is the first class of each semester. Parents are responsible for timely tuition payments. You will only be billed if payment has not been received on time and will be charged a $25 late fee at that time.
5. Tuition and enrollment fees are non-refundable.
6. A $25 fee will be issued for returned checks.
7. Payments may be made by Cash, Check, or Credit Card (MasterCard, Visa, American Express, and Discover).
It is the policy of our school that parents provide and use their own medical insurance. Evidence of coverage and policy numbers is required on the enrollment form. Above the Barre, LLC is not liable for any injuries to persons, which may be sustained by students, their families, guests, or others, in our facility or in sponsored activites which may occur outside. All persons assume risks incident to activities of this studio.
Students must wear appropriate attire to all classes. Clothing should be fitted and should not restrict movement. Jewelry should not be worn. Proper footwear is required for each class: ballet or pointe shoes, jazz shoes, tap shoes, or bare feet for gymnastics classes. Long hair must be neatly tied back.
In general it is our policy that parents are not permitted in the studio during class time. However, because of their age, parents of students in Level I classes may attend class at any time. For all other age levels, we invite parents to attend on Parent Day during which the studio is open and parents are allowed to watch as class takes place. These days will be announced well in advance on the calendar and on Facebook.
We reserve the right to cancel class in the event of inclement weather. Check local listings for information regarding cancelations. If Fairfax County Public Schools are closed, classes will not be held. If you are in doubt, please call the office (703) 980-1219, or check the facebook page for up-to-date class information.